Tuesday, January 10, 2017

What's Worth Sharing

I've really struggled trying to figure out what to write. The last few months have been really hard, and I've been afraid to post anything because I was afraid anything I'd say would just make you sadder. But I miss you. I want you to know that I'm thinking of you, all the time.

I got married last month. I wish you could meet my partner. I found a dress (I wore an actual dress, loooool) for $50 at Goodwill with the tags still on, and we ran down to the courthouse without telling our families at all. That same week, I submitted my name change paperwork, which is super exciting. Both of these things feel like relief, like taking off too-tight shoes.

I've been struggling to write anything for the past few months, but I actually finished a short story yesterday and had an idea for a YA (a big first for me) this week that I might pursue. A lot of what has come out of my head in the past few months has been dealing with grief and loss and self. This YA is about an autistic genderqueer kid who has lived many lives. Lately I've been trying to write things that I would have needed as a kid. I think characters can sometimes feel like they give us permission to exist. Nobody should need permission to exist, but representation is validation in a world that doesn't want a lot of us.

There are so many moments I wish I could just teleport all of us right to you so we could be there for you in person. I hope you know how much we love you every day.

Love,
Evan

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing such a informative blog! UK's most trusted platform to sell old Apple Laptop, sell your used Apple Laptop online on and get instant cash at your doorstep. Please Checkout more on sell my macbook uk.

    ReplyDelete